Frequently Asked Questions


How much of the course is spent in placement compared to University?

Courses usually take a minimum of three years, half of the course is spent at University and half of the course based in clinical practice having direct contact with patients and their families/carers.

I have not studied for some time what support would be available to me in University?

Universities have dedicated Library support staff who offer a wide range of study skill support to suit your learning needs. This includes; developing your study skills, learning or improving IT skills, and help with essay writing and referencing. Support sessions are delivered in a variety of ways, this could be online, in a workshop or one to one.

But don’t forget it’s not all work; University Students union offer a hugely diverse range of great social opportunities, designed for you to make new friends, learn new things, improve your fitness, take up new hobbies or develop old ones. Thousands of students are involved in activity groups, sports clubs, social sports programmes and even student radio stations.

I already have a Degree could I undertake a shortened programme?

If you have previous relevant learning, including formal certified learning such as another degree, or practice-based learning that was part of another course or gained through paid or voluntary work. Evidence of this learning may contribute to meeting some programme requirements, which would be assessed on an individual basis by the University.

Is accommodation available at University for student Nurses?

Universities do have accommodation available, information can be found on the University internet pages.

What funding is available to me?

From 1 August 2017, new nursing students no longer receive NHS bursaries. Instead, they will have access to the same student loans system as other students, this will provide students with tuition fee and maintenance loan support. However from September 2020 all nursing students on courses will receive £5,000 a year maintenance grant. Additional payments of up to £3,000 will be available for students in regions or specialisms struggling to recruit or to help students cover childcare costs.

Further financial support is available to students with child dependants, to help with placement costs and additional living costs this is on an eligibility basis through The Learning Support Fund, this is a non – repayable grant.

Students who already have a degree and are planning to undertake nursing  as a second degree will also have access to student loans on the same terms through the student loans system.

Useful Links 



Would I receive expenses for travelling to placement?

You will be responsible for your own travel arrangements and you will be expected to work the same shift patterns as your placement. Before accepting a place at University you should be sure that you can travel to University and Placement easily and safely as you may have to work shifts that will end late evening or work on a weekend.

Travelling expenses may be paid for any excess cost when placement is further than your journey to University. This is available to eligible applicants through the NHS Student Support Fund.

Useful Links

Where would my placements be?

Each University has a large placement circuit that offers a wide variety of community and in-patient experiences. Your placements are organised by the University Clinical Placement office and you will be allocated a range of placements across the placement circuit to ensure you will gain a range of clinical experiences. This could take place in the home, community, hospitals, and independent and voluntary sector organisations.

What support would I receive in placement?

When on placement you will be supervised by and work the same shift pattern as an experienced nurse / registered healthcare professional who will act as your mentor (Practice Supervisor / Practice Assessor). Your mentor will offer advice and guidance and help you develop your knowledge and skills in placement.

Would I have to pay for Uniform?

No, Uniform is provided free of charge by your chosen University.